Chili Frito Pie is the perfect comfort dinner. Delicious layers of crunchy Fritos, Southwestern chili, and melty cheese make for a winning weeknight meal!
Chili Frito Pie (aka Chili casserole, aka Chili Pie, aka a million other names) was one of my husband’s favorite meals growing up. We like this “Southwestern” spin on a traditional chili casserole by adding some salsa, corn, taco seasoning and some diced chiles.
So one of the biggest debates my husband and I have with this recipe is whether to use regular Fritos or Chili Cheese-flavored Fritos. I actually like it best with plain (it already has so much flavor) but he likes it with Chili Cheese. For this, you really just have to go with your personal preference. You can also use crushed tortilla chips if you don’t have Fritos on hand.
You can go all wild with toppings such as onions, lettuce, diced tomatoes, sour cream, salsa, and so forth. Really, any toppings you would typically put on a taco would work great. I love my Frito pie with Sriracha. My Dad likes it with Ketchup. Go nuts. Or if you aren’t a topping person, it tastes great as-is too!
Make it GLUTEN FREE!
This is SO EASY to make GF. All you have to do is make sure you use a GF Taco seasoning (homemade is always a sure-bet). GF Taco seasoning is really easy to find at your local grocery store. McCormick brand makes a great one. Also, you need to make sure the chili you are using if gluten free as well. Hormel brand (original style) is gluten free. That is a great bet. Just check those couple things and you are good to go!
Southwestern Chili Casserole with Fritos
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees.
- In a large skillet, cook ground beef and onions until cooked through and onions become transparent. Discard grease if needed.
- Stir in chiles, olives, chili, chili beans, corn, salsa, and taco seasoning.
- Bring to a simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Crush Fritos and spread half of them evenly in a 9x13 deep baking dish. Add chili mixture and top with remaining crushed Fritos.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Add cheese and bake an additional 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Like this easy dinner recipe? Give these a try!
- Doritos Locos in a Bag (AKA Walking Tacos): These Locos Tacos in a Bag are the best thing ever for camping, reunions, and block parties. They are cheap, tasty, and clean up is a snap. No plate needed!
- Mom’s (Award Winning) Cheater Chili: Our Mom’s Cheater Chili recipe makes cooking a pot of homemade chili simple and fast. The ground beef, onions, and tomatoes make it a hearty meal.
- Cheeseburger Pie AND Taco Pie:You can make these EASY Dinner Pies TWO Ways – Cheeseburger or Taco! They are cheap, easy, and use ingredients you probably always have on hand!