Frito Chili Pie is the perfect comfort dinner. Delicious layers of crunchy Fritos, Southwestern chili, and lots of gooey cheese make for a winning weeknight meal!
Chili Frito Pie
Chili Frito Pie (aka Chili casserole, aka Chili Pie, aka a million other names) was one of my husband’s favorite meals growing up. It’s one of those comfort meals that can be thrown together super fast even on the busiest of weeknights, and tastes yummy, warm and nourishing. We always seem to have ingredients for this casserole on hand so this one is definitely in permanent rotation around our house. Even the pickiest of eaters love this dish!
We like this “Southwestern” spin on a traditional chili casserole by adding some salsa, corn, taco seasoning and some diced chiles.
- We like this “Southwestern” spin on the traditional chili casserole by adding some salsa, corn, taco seasoning and diced chiles.
- You can use regular Fritos or Chili Cheese-Flavored Fritos for a different flavor on top.
- Don’t have any Fritos on hand? Use crushed tortilla chips! This is the perfect casserole to make with the remnants of the tortilla chips bag (you know, the bits that aren’t big enough to scoop salsa?)
- Go crazy with toppings! We like to add onions, lettuce diced tomatoes, sour cream, salsa and guacamole. Any toppings you would typically put on a taco would work great.
- I love my Frito pie with a dash or two of Sriracha; my dad likes it with ketchup. To each his own!
Make it GLUTEN FREE!
This is SO EASY to make GF. All you have to do is make sure you use a GF Taco seasoning (homemade is always a sure-bet). Gluten Free taco seasoning is really easy to find at your local grocery store. McCormick brand makes a great one. Also, you need to make sure the chili you are using if gluten free as well. Hormel brand (original style) is gluten free. That is a great bet. Just check those couple things and you are good to go!
Like this easy dinner recipe? Give these a try!
- Doritos Locos in a Bag (AKA Walking Tacos): These Locos Tacos in a Bag are the best thing ever for camping, reunions, and block parties. They are cheap, tasty, and clean up is a snap. No plate needed!
- Mom’s (Award Winning) Cheater Chili: Our Mom’s Cheater Chili recipe makes cooking a pot of homemade chili simple and fast. The ground beef, onions, and tomatoes make it a hearty meal.
- Cheeseburger Pie AND Taco Pie:You can make these EASY Dinner Pies TWO Ways – Cheeseburger or Taco! They are cheap, easy, and use ingredients you probably always have on hand!
How to Make Frito Chili Pie
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees.
- In a large skillet, cook ground beef and onions until cooked through and onions become transparent. Discard grease if needed.
- Stir in chiles, olives, chili, chili beans, corn, salsa, and taco seasoning.
- Bring to a simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Crush Fritos and spread half of them evenly in a 9x13 deep baking dish. Add chili mixture and top with remaining crushed Fritos.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Add cheese and bake an additional 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.