This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
Perfect for a busy weeknight, these Crockpot Chicken Tacos are a flavorful and hearty dinner the whole family will love. Only 5 minutes of prep!
Featured with this recipe
These Crockpot Chicken Tacos are so incredibly easy to make. Just throw everything in the crockpot and come back in a few hours to a delicious meal. You can also use this recipe to make shredded chicken for taco salad, nachos, enchiladas, and burrito bowls.
Ingredients in Crockpot Chicken Tacos
- Chicken – I like to use boneless skinless chicken breasts in this recipe. They shred easily and stay tender.
- Taco Seasoning – Use your favorite store brand, or try our Homemade Taco Seasoning with delicious spices like cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, oregano, black pepper, salt, and chili powder.
- Onion – A white or yellow onion taste great in these Crockpot Chicken Tacos
- Jalapeños – Make sure to remove the seeds. Omit if you don’t like spice.
- Salsa – Use your favorite salsa, or try one of our salsa recipes. I recommend our Tomatillo Salsa Verde or Homemade Salsa with Fresh Tomatoes.
- Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilis – Rotel is a popular brand that I usually use.
- Tortillas – This crockpot chicken tacos recipe tastes great with corn or flour tortillas.
Let’s Taco Bout Toppings
Once you have your taco meat and your tortillas, its time for the fun part – toppings! Try some of our favorites listed below, or let us know your favorites in the comments!
- Shredded Lettuce
- Shredded Cheese
- Corn Salsa
- Pico De Gallo
- Sour Cream
- Diced Tomatoes
- Diced Onions
- Green Chiles
- Black Olives
- Black Beans
- Diced Avocado
- Lime Wedges
- Hot Sauce
- Crema Mexicana
Make sure to add the shredded chicken back into the crockpot and give it a good stir so it can soak up all the juices and amazing flavor!
Frequently Asked Questions about Crockpot Chicken Tacos
Yes! This shredded chicken freezes great! Keep in in the freezer in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge before reheating.
Technically, the FDA recommends not using frozen chicken in the crockpot because it spends too long in the temperature “unsafe” zone. However, if you use thinner chicken breasts, and you cook on the high setting, you should be fine.
Yes! Any seasoning that you would use with ground beef for tacos, you can use with shredded chicken.
Read Next: 35+ BEST Chicken Breast Recipes
More Crockpot Chicken Recipes
Crockpot Chicken Tacos
- Crock Pot or Slow Cooker
- Spray the bottom of the crockpot with cooking spray. Place chicken breasts, taco seasoning, onion, jalapeños, salsa, and diced tomatoes with green chilis into the pot.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours. Remove chicken, shred it with two forks, and put it back into the pot. Stir to combine it with the sauce.
- Serve with your favorite tortillas and toppings!
- This shredded chicken freezes great! Keep in in the freezer in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge before reheating.
- Make sure to add the shredded chicken back into the crockpot and give it a good stir so it can soak up all the amazing flavor!
- You can use frozen chicken breasts, but the cooking time will be more like 4-6 hours on HIGH.