Chicken long rice is a favorite of locals in Hawaii. It is a flavorful, light dish that is great on its own or with any of your favorite Hawaiian foods!
A little background
I first discovered chicken long rice when I worked at the Polynesian Cultural Center in Hawaii. At first I was a bit skeptical. Growing up in Southern Utah, I had never seen anything quite like chicken long rice. After trying it, I was immediately a huge fan. I love making chicken long rice for my family in the summertime because, to me, it is such a light, flavorful dish. It fills you up without making you feel ugg-ed out. The broth reminds me of Pho in a way. It is similar, but different. You have just got to try it!
What is chicken long rice?
Chicken long rice is a popular dish found in Hawaii. It can be a side dish or served more as a soup or a light meal. It is originally a Chinese dish but was adapted by Hawaiians and is now popular at luaus throughout the islands.
Is chicken long rice gluten free?
Chicken long rice can EASILY be made gluten free if you just make a few easy adjustments. The noodles themselves are GF but it is what you are cooking them in that can be tricky. Just be sure you are using gluten-free soy sauce and chicken broth. Just be aware of those two things and you are good to go!
What goes well with chicken long rice?
I LOVE chicken long rice served over rice. I know that sounds like a lot of rice but oh man, it’s good. You can serve it with any kind of Hawaiian dish from Kalua pork, to teriyaki chicken, to anything you would serve on a plate lunch.
What noodles are best for chicken long rice?
The noodles that are used for chicken long rice can be called by many different names, but they are all the same thing. They can be called glass noodles, cellophane noodles, bean threads, Chinese vermicelli, bean thread noodles, crystal noodles, or bean vermicelli. They are all thin, brittle, white noodles that turn clear and glassy when boiled.
Where can I buy bean threads (cellophane noodles)?
You may be able to find them at your local grocery store but you will definitely be able to find them at your local Asian market.
How to make chicken long rice
- In a large stockpot, combine the chicken broth, soy sauce, garlic, ginger and sugar.
- Bring to a boil and add chicken thighs. Reduce heat and simmer for 30-40 minutes.
- In the meantime, place bean thread noodles in a large bowl and pour warm water over them. Enough to cover the noodles completely. You just want them to start loosening up. Set aside until chicken and broth is done cooking.
- When chicken is cooked through use a slotted spoon to remove from the broth (do not discard the broth) and shred. Skim any grease or foam from the broth and then return chicken to the broth.
- Stir noodles into the broth and simmer another 5 minutes or until noodles are soft and translucent. Add more chicken broth if needed if you like the noodles to be more "soup" like.
- Add more soy sauce to taste (optional) and garnish with green onion.
Looking for more delicious Hawaiian-style recipes? We have LOADS of them! Click HERE