This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
Orange Pineapple Cake is a light, fruity cake with an island flair. You will love the delicious whipped creamy topping! This is the perfect dessert to bring to potlucks and parties.
Orange Pineapple Cake
This cake is a perfect dessert for summer gatherings with family and friends. Our dear family friend, Mary Alice, brought this cake to us and we loved it so much I had to get the recipe.
We have made it many times since and it always turns out great every time! It is so light and fruity. This is a versatile recipe that can be made up in several ways.
How to Adjust the Cake Size
The recipe listed below is for an Orange Pineapple Sheet Cake. It serves a large piece of cake to 20 people! If you need to serve a smaller crowd, it can easily be made as a 9×13 cake or a two layer cake with a simple adjustment to the baking time.
- If you prefer to make a 9×13 cake, bake the cake at 325 degrees for 30-35 minutes.
- For a two round layer cake, adjust the baking time to about 20 minutes.
Tips for Making the Orange Pineapple Cake
I’ve made this cake a time or two (or twenty…) and I’ve got a few tips to help you make this cake perfectly, every single time.
- For the cake, you can use either a lemon or a yellow cake mix. I prefer the lemon cake mix because it brings out the citrus flavor of the oranges as well as the lemon in the mix, and I think it is delicious with the pineapple in the frosting.
- You will know when the cake is done when it is just turning a light brown on top, and a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- This recipe makes a ton of frosting! The frosting is not a heavy, rich frosting, but more light and creamy so I generously heap it on the cake.
- It is a nice touch to add mandarin orange slices, pineapple slices, or strawberry slices to the top of the cake when serving.
More Cake Recipes:
- Texas Sheet Cake
- Strawberries and Cream Cake
- Coconut Cream Cake
- Better Than Sex Cake
- Instant Pot Chocolate Lava Cake
- Chocolate Cherry Cake
How to Make Orange Pineapple Cake
Orange Pineapple Cake
- 12×18 Pan
- 1 lemon or yellow cake mix
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup oil
- 8 ounces mandarin oranges do not drain
- 3.9 ounces instant vanilla pudding mix
- 15 ounces crushed pineapple do not drain
- 16 ounces container of whipped topping or whipped cream I use Cool Whip
- Mix the first four ingredients in a large bowl.
- Pour cake batter into a 12×18 pan.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Let cake cool before adding frosting.
- In a mixer, or with a blender, beat pudding mix, crushed pineapple, and whipped topping together and spread generously over the cooled cake.
- The frosted cake should be kept in the refrigerator until it is served.
Did you try this recipe?
Share It on Instagram!
Mention @favoritefamilyrecipes or tag #favoritefamilyrecipes!
I was thinking of adding coconut flavoring to my yellow cake mix. What do you think? If I were to, how much do you suggest? This recipe is delicious, I’ve had it but never made it. Can’t wait to try it!
We haven’t tried adding coconut before, so I can’t say for sure! But it sounds delicious!
I have made this for years and I add a small box of dry orange jello to the cake batter. It adds flavor and color! I also put half of the oranges and half pineapple in both the batter and the topping.
This looks so delicious and yummy! I can’t wait to give this a try! So excited! My family is going to enjoy!
See More Comments