Loaded Cheesy Potato Skins
Loaded Cheesy Potato Skins are a favorite staple for the Super Bowl, or just about any casual family gathering, and it’s an appetizer my husband looks forward to more than the actual game! They are a like a salted potato boat filled with crisp bacon and melted gooey cheddar and are so good dipped in sour cream or our homemade ranch dressing. They’re really easy to make, and you only need four ingredients! This recipe is one of our favorite Super Bowl Recipes. Be sure to check out our full list of recipes for the big game. You’ll find all kinds of saucy meats, savory appetizers, sweet treats, and delicious dips. Everything you could possibly need to host the Super Bowl (or any tailgate/sports watching party)! Find the full list HERE.
Tips for Loaded Cheesy Potato Skins
- This recipe does not have exact measurements because you can do as much or as little as you like of these. If I fill up a cookie sheet sized pan with these, I usually use a dozen Russet potatoes, a package of bacon, and a pound of shredded cheddar cheese.
- Just a tip on the cheese, it tastes a lot better if you get a block of cheese and shred it yourself as opposed to getting the pre-shredded cheese. The pre-shredded cheese is floured to keep from sticking with sometimes can really take away from the flavor.
- I’m not getting paid to say this, but I honestly prefer Tillamook cheese to every other brand I have tried. It’s creamier and better tasting, and they let their cheese age naturally instead of genetically trying to make it age faster, and you can really taste the difference.
- You can cook up your own bacon, or buy it pre-cooked and crumbled in the grocery store, but steer clear of those tough bacon bits.
More Potato Side Dishes
If you love potatoes as much as we do you should definitely try some of these other potato sides:
- Parmesan Potato Halves
- Coconut Pecan Sweet Potato Halves
- Broccoli Cheese Stuffed Potato Skins
- Traditional Potato Wedges
- Loaded Potato Wedges
- Sweet Potato Fries with a Tangy Chipotle Lime Dip
- Homestyle Potato Salad
- Bacon Gorgonzola Potato Salad
How to Make Loaded Cheesy Potato Skins
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Wash and dry each potato. Using a fork, poke through the skin of each potato 8 to 10 times. Rub a light coat of olive oil, cooking oil, or shortening over each potato.
- Place potatoes on middle rack of oven. Place a baking sheet on the lower rack to catch drippings. Bake for 1 hour.
- Cool potatoes on a cooling rack for 10-15 minutes. Cut each potato in half. Scoop out some of the center, leaving about a 1/2 inch layer of potato.
- Use a pastry brush to brush the potatoes all over with melted butter. Place the potatoes on a baking sheet and broil on high for about 4 to 6 minutes. The skins should turn golden brown.
- Divide the cheese and bacon crumbles evenly to the scooped side of the 12 potato skins. Broil again for 1 to 2 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Serve hot with one or several dipping sauces.
Dipping sauce options:
- Sour cream and salsa: Mix 2/3 cup sour cream with 1/3 cup salsa. Chill 1 hour before serving.
- Sour cream and chives: Mix 1 cup sour cream with 1 tablespoon chives. Chill 1 hour before serving.
- Ranch dressing: Your favorite ranch dressing or our Homemade Ranch Dressing.