This recipe for Spicy Grilled Shrimp is so buttery, flavorful, and delicious. We can’t stop popping these and we fight over who gets the last bite. They are that good!
Spicy Grilled Shrimp
I am addicted to all things New Orleans and this recipe made me feel like we were right back there! We like eating the shrimp on rice, with the sauce drizzled on top. A side of sourdough bread and a green salad, and it is one of the best dinners around. My family requests this meal again and again.
The Secret’s in the Sauce
Quick Pro Tip: We like to get the bag of uncooked tail on shrimp from Costco in the frozen section, they are really good and the shells and veins are already removed. So much easier!
As for the sauce, this is really the key to this fantastic spicy grilled shrimp recipe. The combination of thyme, turmeric, garlic and cayenne, mingled with the lemon juice makes for such an array of flavors your mouth will definitely be thanking you. One reader suggested slicing up pinwheel lemon slices and using those for flavor and aesthetic appeal in the sauce. Once you spoon it over the shrimp, look out. You’re in for a real treat!
More flavors from the South
If you’re into New Orleans flavor like we are, you might try pairing this spicy grilled shrimp with a glass of Mint Julep (Disneyland copycat). Serve the meal with a New Orleans style mini beignet for dessert. Delicious! If you’re looking for shrimp but cooked in another way, the Cajun Shrimp Foil Packets will work out great!
If you love pasta, our Creamy Cajun Shrimp Pasta is one of the most requested shrimp dinners in our family. More of a sandwich person? Our Shrimp Po’ Boys are also very popular. So many delicious choices!
How to Make Spicy Grilled Shrimp
- 32 large, uncooked shrimp we like the bag of frozen tail-on shrimp that you can get at Costco
- Combine all the sauce ingredients in a medium size bowl and add the uncooked shrimp (leave the tail on). Cover the bowl and marinade for 1 hour in the fridge.
- Remove bowl from fridge and let it sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Use tongs to place marinated shrimp on a plate. Do not discard the sauce!
- Pour sauce into a small sauce pan and bring to a boil for 1 minute, then remove from heat.
- Grill shrimp over high heat about 2 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Remove from grill and place in a serving bowl. Pour the butter sauce over the top. Remove tails as you eat.
- Outdoor BBQ Grill