This Strawberry Shortcake is about to be your new go-to summer dessert. With layers of flaky, sweet biscuit, tart strawberries and whipped cream, you really can’t go wrong!
Anyone else thinking of the cute, red-headed cartoon character right now? The cartoon character and the dessert have a lot in common. They are both sweet and adorable, and they both bring joy! Whatever you are serving up for dinner this summer, I promise that Strawberry Shortcake is the perfect dessert to go with it. The biscuit layers are flaky, and sweet, the strawberries are juicy and tart, and the whipped cream tops it off to perfection.
Step by Step Instructions
- First you’ll want to make the biscuits. Sift together all of the dry ingredients and then add your butter. Make sure the butter is COLD. I like to grate the butter into the mix because it is easier to combine. Using your hands or a pastry cutter, mix until crumbly.
- Next, add the heavy cream. Using your hands, mix until a soft dough forms. Knead the dough on a floured surface for about a minute. Roll the dough out until it is about 1/2 inch thick and then cut into biscuits. I usually just use the mouth of a glass.
- Place the biscuits on a greased baking sheet and cook for 20-30 minutes at 375. Cook until the bottoms are golden brown.
- While the biscuits are baking, slice your strawberries. Take about 1/4 of the strawberries and mash them up to release the juices. Add the mashed strawberries back in with the sliced strawberries. Sprinkle sugar over the top, stir, and let rest until ready to serve.
- The last thing to do before assembling is to make your whipped cream. Add heavy cream to a mixer and beat until soft peaks form. Add powdered sugar and vanilla. Mix until combined.
- Finally, when all the elements are ready, assemble your shortcakes. Cut a biscuit in half and spoon strawberries over the bottom half – make sure you spoon some of the juices over the biscuit as well. Then, add whipped cream and place the top half on top. Top with more whipped cream if desired. Enjoy!
Love Strawberries? Try These Recipes!
Strawberry season is coming and we have lots of delicious strawberry recipes to share with you!
- Strawberry Freezer Jam
- Fresh Strawberry Cake
- Crepes with Strawberry Cream Cheese Filling
- Strawberry Pretzel Jello Salad
- Easy Strawberry Cinnamon Twists
- Creamy Strawberry Balsamic Dressing
How to Make Strawberry Shortcake
For the Biscuits
For the Biscuits
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients. Grate or slice butter and add to dry mixture.
- Using your hands or a pastry cutter, combine the dry ingredients and the butter until the mixture is crumbly and all of the butter pieces are pea sized or smaller.
- Add whipping cream and use your hands to form the mixture into a soft dough. Once the dough forms, knead for 1-2 minutes.
- Roll out onto a floured surface until the dough is about 1/2 inch thick.
- Using a biscuit cutter or the mouth of a glass, cut into biscuits.
- Place biscuits onto a greased baking sheet and brush the tops with a little bit of melted butter.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until the bottoms are golden brown.
For the Strawberry Filling
- Hull and slice strawberries. Mash up about 1/4 of your strawberries to release the juices. Add the mashed strawberries back to the sliced strawberries. Sprinkle sugar over the top and let rest until ready to assemble the shortcakes.
For the Whipped Cream
- Mix whipping cream on high speed until soft peaks form. Then add the powdered sugar and vanilla. Mix until combined.
To Assemble the Strawberry Shortcakes
- Cut a biscuit in half and spoon strawberries over the bottom half - make sure you spoon some of the juices over the biscuit as well. Then, add whipped cream and place the top half on top. Top with more whipped cream if desired. Enjoy!