This Deceptively Easy Ice Cream Cake is made with ice cream sandwiches, whipped cream, fudge, and caramel. A simple yet scrumptious dessert!
Deceptively Easy Ice Cream Cake
This Deceptively Easy Ice Cream Cake only takes about five minutes to make and is always a crowd pleaser! The trick is layering pre-made ice cream sandwiches in a pan, then frosting with fluffy whipped cream, and drizzling hot fudge and caramel sauce on the top. My kids love making this treat for family dinners because they can help with every process and be very proud of their work. You simply cannot mess this up. It’s the perfect dessert for warm summer picnics, barbecues, or evenings around the fire pit. Such a fun and EASY dessert!
Tips for Layering this Ice Cream Sandwich Cake
- Start with some good ice cream sandwiches. There are super cheap options out there, but since this is the star of the show, I like to use nice and thick sandwiches. You’ll need about two dozen.
- If you have time, try to freeze each layer before you stack another layer on top. This helps the whipped topping layers stay firm and keeps it from sliding around as you layer your cake.
- Microwave your jar of hot fudge just a few seconds if needed to aid in the drizzling process. But don’t get it too hot; you don’t want to melt the ice cream or whipped cream.
- This recipe calls for a 9×13 pan but you can use any pan you like. You can even do a triple layered cake using a smaller pan.
- This cake can be made a few days in advance and stored in the freezer.
Additional Toppings for Ice Cream Cake
I love using hot fudge, caramel and some unsalted peanuts as toppings on this cake, but the options are endless! You could layer M&Ms, chocolate chips, crushed toffee bars, peanut butter cups, sprinkles, butterscotch chips, just about any candy you like in between layers of ice cream sandwiches and whipped cream. And just about any sundae toppings taste delicious! Caramel, butterscotch, hot fudge, mint chocolate, cherry syrup, the sky’s the limit!
More Scrumptious Frozen Desserts
Summertime is the very best time to keep the oven off and make frozen treats for all your holiday and family gatherings. Try a few of our favorites:
- Raspberry Almond Fudge Ice Cream Cake
- Pink Lemonade Ice Cream Pie
- Frozen Banana Split Dessert
- White Chocolate Raspberry Fried Ice Cream
- Frozen Layered Gelato Cake
- Four Layer Banana Pudding Dessert
How to make Easy Ice Cream Cake
- Unwrap ice cream sandwiches and place one layer of sandwiches on the bottom of a 9x13 glass pan.
- You may have to cut some of the sandwiches a little bit to get the perfect fit.
- Drizzle some of the chocolate and caramel over the sandwiches.
- Next, spread 1/2 of the whipped cream over the top, then finally sprinkle with nuts.
- Repeat for the second layer. Chill and serve with extra chocolate, caramel, or nuts! That's it!
- 9x13 inch pan