Have you ever noticed that when you get refried beans at a restaurant they are creamy and easy to dip your chips in, but the canned stuff is so thick, breaks your chips, and doesn’t taste nearly as good? Well this is my “cheater” recipe to make the canned stuff have that restaurant like consistency and flavor. I use this (and our Restaurant Style Mexcian Rice) for a side every time I make mexican dishes, it also makes a much better base for 7 layer bean dips (or our 9 layer bean dip HERE).
- 1 can refried beans (I like the Taco Bell brand)
- 1/3 c. sour cream
- 1 Tbsp. Valentina hot sauce
- 3/4 c. grated monterey jack cheese (or a cheddar/jack blend)
- In a small sauce pan combine the refried beans, sour cream, and hot sauce over medium-low heat. Stir constantly and when the beans are heated through (don't bring it to boiling) remove from heat and pour into a glass pie pan or 9x9 dish.
- Top with grated cheese and heat in the oven or microwave until cheese is melted.