This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
This taco salad is made with seasoned ground beef, crisp romaine lettuce, and flavorful toppings. An easy, healthy weeknight dinner!
Ground Beef Taco Salad
Taco salad was a common dinner at our house growing up. It is such a quick dinner to throw together and it can easily feed a crowd. It’s like a giant taco in a bowl. We love using ground beef with our taco salad because it only takes minutes to cook but it can also be made with chicken or shredded beef. Try this recipe with our homemade taco seasoning mix for a great alternative to store-bought seasoning.
Ground beef is a staple for many easy, budget-friendly meals. For more easy dinner ideas prepared with ground beef, check out our post on Easy Ground Beef Recipes.
Add some veggies!
It’s easy to sneak in some added vegetables and nutrients without sacrificing taste or texture. We like adding some shredded zucchini or carrots. You won’t even be able to tell they are there!
Don’t Forget The Toppings!
The possibilities are endless when it comes to taco salad toppings. Here are some of our favorites:
- sliced olives
- green onion
- black beans
- red beans
- pinto beans
- red onion
Taco Salad Dressing
Ask three different people what their favorite taco salad dressing is and you will likely get three different answers. Currently, we love using cilantro-lime ranch dressing or no dressing at all (it’s great with just salsa and sour cream). Growing up, my husband’s family always used thousand island dressing over their taco salad. When we were growing up, the topping of choice in our family was (do I dare admit this?) ketchup. Here are some more popular dressings to use (feel free to add your favorite dressing in the comments below):
- Creamy Southwestern BBQ
- Thousand island dressing
- Lime juice + oil
- Sour cream + salsa
- Guacamole + ranch dressing
This comes down to personal preference. I prefer the meat to be warm but to do this, it needs to be eaten soon after the salad is made or it can make the lettuce lose its crispness. If you are making a large tossed-style salad, it may be best to serve it cold.
This recipe can easily be made into a keto-friendly, low-carb recipe! Just take out the beans and chips and you are set.
This recipe is a gluten-free recipe when you use GF taco seasoning. Not all taco seasonings are gluten-free so be sure to read those labels or use our homemade taco seasoning recipe (get the link in the recipe notes below).
What Goes With Taco Salad?
There are lots of great dishes that you can serve along with taco salad. Whether you are making a big meal for a crowd, a potluck, or just want to add another dish to your family dinner, you can’t go wrong with any of these great recipes:
Easy Taco Salad
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 onion diced
- 1 zucchini shredded, optional (see tip above)
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning (get the link to our homemade seasoning below)
- 1 15-ounce can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 pound chopped romaine letuce washed and rinsed
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 avocado diced
- 1/2 cup sliced green onion
- 1/3 cup sliced olives
- 2 cups crunchy tortilla strips
- 1 cup salsa
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- In a non-stick skillet, brown ground beef with chopped onion and shredded (optional) zucchini.
- When onion becomes soft and transparent and beef is cooked through, stir in taco seasoning and black beans and cook on low until heated through.
- If the mixture becomes too dry, add a few tablespoons of water. Keep on warm until ready to serve.
- Place lettuce in a large serving bowl (or individual bowls). Top with ground beef mixture and remaining toppings.
- Serve plain or with salad dressing (see options above).